Thursday, June 16, 2011

Finishing my Grandmother's Blanket

I learned to crochet because I wanted to make a couple friends flowers for their hair a couple months ago. Why, you ask? Long story short, one friend likes flowers for her hair, didn't have one one day, so the other friend made one from paper. I showed that friend up with my own paper flower. Then I jumped ship and moved, so I wanted to do something nice for them both.

I planned to learn to crochet after Mom, my sister, and I cleaned out my parents' attic and found my paternal grandmother's lot of unfinished crochet materials. She died before when I was too young to remember. The picture on the left is only a portion of her granny squares. I moved them into a separate bag to organize. I thought it would be nice to finish her blanket some 25 years after her death, and I knew my Dad would really like the sentiment.

Some of the squares aren't in great shape from being in the attic so long, so I decided to make an Afghan and just incorporate some of her granny squares into it. Plus, this way the blanket won't be that wonderful 1980's cacophony of color and will better match the room it'll be in.

Well, I started the work last Friday, and as is everything I do, I completely underestimated the time it would take. I'm using the SunRise pattern shown in Theresa's Art of Crochet tutorial on youtube, and it's taking me over an hour per square (but I'm getting faster).

I'm using 17 of my grandmother's squares that I'm adding a black double stitch border on and making 60 other squares from scratch. This will most definitely not be done for Father's Day.


This picture shows the two different squares I'm making from scratch and the two different color of squares I picked from my grandmother's stash. Hopefully I'll be done in the next two weeks. Twelve squares down, 65 to go!

I'll have no desire to ever crochet again after this.

3 comments:

Lauren Ducote said...

That's one snazzy flower in that girl's hair!!!

Unknown said...

It takes a snazzy girl to wear a snazzy flower.

Danielle Bellone said...

Jeff, I never knew you were so crafty!
~Danielle